Probate Registrar to Appoint Guardian in Intestacy Where Minority Interest Arises

I have had an enquiry today and whilst I know (or at least think I know) the answer (in theory) I do not know the mechanics, forms and processes having never done one before, and cannot find anybody who has! I appreciate I can ask the Registry and they are great, but I would welcome comments before doing so, not least so I don’t appear a great idiot on first application.

Widower, intestate, one minor child (aged 14) with social services appointed foster carers because dad was too ill to care for her.

The deceased leaves a surviving brother, and sisters-in-law so the child has an uncle and aunts.

Estate is modest property and some money; no IHT.

A minority interest arises so two administrators / trustees required.

Solution; Application to Registrar to appoint the Uncle and an Aunt as guardians purely for the administration of the estate until the child is 18; application supported by affidavits. That’s the theory Tristram & Cootes 132.

But what does one actually do???

John Cartlidge
Campion Solicitors

What one actually does is put it all in the Oath (including some classy wording from Tristram and Coote) and that will do the trick. I don’t see any reason why you should need separate affidavits, when whatever needs swearing to can be incorporated in the Oath and be sworn to there.

Julian Cohen, Solicitor

Many thanks Julian.

Referring to T&C I note form 132 but that includes …Guardian appointed by order of the Registrar…" and so I presumed a prior application required for such an order. If you have done one like this I should be grateful for the wording / form you used.

John Cartlidge
Campion Solicitors