Publishing Probate Fees

Following SRA’s decision that that all firms must publish their fees for probate, I would be interested to hear how other firms intend dealing with this. For example, are firms going to give hourly rates and an estimate
of hours and if so, how will they are covered for unexpectedly lengthy matters?

As an aside, i my view it is another example of a lack of a level playing field as the unregulated sector will not have to publish any costs estimates.

Hazel Jones

Garden House Solicitors

We were chatting about this the other day. A clear example of the SRA failing to understand the variables that arise when dealing with an estate, which, as we know, is far more than Probate. I agree with you that this will be yet another boost for the unregulated sector.

I fail to see how this makes the process/fees more transparent given the detailed quotes we already provide in our engagement letters. And again when Probate is granted. My view is it can only become clear what’s involved once you have met/detailed correspondence with the client(s). Even then, many other things crop up. Countless times I’ve had initial calls from Exors telling me how straightforward it all is, but the truth being somewhat different after you’ve sat down with them.

People can shop around now by, and this will seem old fashioned, actually going to see someone, you know, face -to- face (imagine that?). They can ask questions, be adequately advised on matters they hadn’t considered, get to decide if they can work with you and, bizarrely perhaps, actually like you and feel comfortable that you’ll be dealing with such important matters on their behalf.

We offer both fixed fee and hourly rates, and as yet we are undecided how we’ll meet this ridiculous regulatory requirement. I imagine many published quotes/fee will be full of caveats, or will address only the minimum requirements, so be of no real use anyway.

Karl Taylor
Parker Rhodes Hickmotts