Swearing Affidavits of Plight & Condition

Hi

I am applying for a Grant on behalf of my charity and as part of the application need to comment on the condition of the Will. I understand that following last year’s changes we no longer have to swear an oath when applying for the Grant and I wondered whether the Affidavit of Plight & Condition still needs to be sworn?

Many thanks
Kate Davies
Cats Protection

I had this at the end of last year and prepared the Affidavit of Due Plight and Condition as a statement which was signed by the executor but not sworn and the grant issued without any problems.

Nigel Scase
Greene & Greene

Thanks, Nigel - that is good to know!

Kind regards

Kate Davies
Cats Protection

Hi - following on from this (and given that the current circumstances would make swearing an affidavit before a solicitor virtually impossible), has anyone experienced any problems in submitting an affidavit which is more akin to a statement of truth?

Thanks
Jane Robinson
Winckworth Sherwood LLP

Hi Jane

As I mentioned previously I had one go through without query and I have just submitted another (about 2 weeks ago) and am not expecting any problems.

Nigel Scase
Greene & Greene

I had to submit an affidavit of due execution this week and emailed the Registry on Tuesday to ask that in light of the Lockdown and social distancing could i submit a due execution statement of truth and received a response straightaway to say NO. It had to be sworn. I was lucky that a neighbouring solicitor was happy to meet ( they had an affidavit to swear as well).The other solicitors on our road refused which i understand.
The registry indicated that the rules would have to change in order for them not to accept an affidavit in these circumstances.

Monika Patel
Stapletons Solicitors

Many thanks Nigel – I may try this approach in the first instance. Which probate registry were you corresponding with?

Kind regards

Jane Robinson
Winckworth Sherwood LLP

Hi Jane
It was Newcastle Probate Registry.

Nigel Scase
Greene & Greene

Hi Jane

Just to follow up on my last posting the Grant has issued on the latest one

Nigel Scase
Greene & Greene

Many thanks Nigel – that is very encouraging news!

Jane Robinson
Winckworth Sherwood LLP