Trust/Estate Register - UPDATE

I have just spent an hour on a call with HMRC to discuss the trust register. I thought it was to test the update software but no…the time scale for this being implemented is 15 months…to confirm box 20.1 does not need to be ticked for 2017/18 Trust Returns because you are unable to confirm that the register has been checked.

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

1 Like

Are you saying 15 months from now please, Lucy, i.e. September 2019?
Cindy Chaplin
Larking Gowen

yes potentially! shocking isn’t it…

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

Yes!! It definitely is!

Cindy Chaplin
Larking Gowen

Latest news from Agent Update 73

Trust Registration Service (TRS) Micro Service Development

We have recently deployed the first feature for the Trust Registration Micro Service that allows users to register a will trust that contains:

• a lead trustee (can include multiple UK-based trustees)

• multiple named individual beneficiaries (will only require name, DOB, National Insurance number or address)

• classes of beneficiary

• assets (money, property and land).

Further features will be delivered between now and the end of the year. We will continue to test the service with users as we release each feature. If you are interested in taking part in user research or if you have any questions about getting involved, please contact: serviceteam17.digital_ddcn@digital.hmrc.gov.uk

Protecting your data - Authorising an agency to act on behalf of a trust for the Register

Later this year HMRC will be releasing more functionality to the TRS to allow amendments to be made. Agents and their clients will need to complete a few additional steps to ensure only those with a legitimate reason can access and update details on TRS, usually the agent or nominated trustee. Information on these changes will be available on GOV.UK, but this is to let you know now what the process will be. Please note that this will not replace the existing 64-8 process for SA, so agents must ensure the appropriate authorisation is in place where needed. The process flow below sets out the steps required for authorisation:

Agent

• Wants to act on behalf of a trust or update the register

• Logs in to Agent Services account

• Enters trust Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)

HMRC Agent Services

• Check Agents relationship to trust

• If no relationship exists, a link is created for the agent to email to their client

Agent

• Emails client with link (the link is to the invitation which the client needs to accept)

Lead Trustee

• Lead Trustee clicks on link from Agent

• Logs in to Government Gateway account (may have to set up Organisation Credentials first)

Lead Trustee

• Completes random known fact check about the trust

• Invite accepted

HMRC

• Agent: Trust relationship created for Trust Register

• Agent can now access trust data and update register as necessary

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

1 Like

Ah, a simple 5 step process…

Andrew Goodman
Osborne Clarke LLP

What is the correct link, please?

Julian Cohen

Simons Rodkin

Hi Julian, If I knew, i’d pass it on…this email address is plastered across all public information and every time I have tried to us it, it doesn’t work. It’s really frustrating and i’m not sure if it’s a ploy by HMRC!

If I ever find out the correct address, I’ll report it here.

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

service_team17.digital_ddcn@digital.hmrc.gov.uk

this is the e-mail address that responded to me when I recently assisted them with some trust & Estate register user research

Maxine Higgins
Citroen Wells

1 Like

No, Maxine, that doesn’t seem to be it either.

Julian Cohen

Simons Rodkin

FYI - Thanks to Maxine

"Hi Lucy,

Thank you for getting in touch, we are sorry that the provided email address was incorrect, but are very grateful to the member of the Trust Discussion Forum for providing the correct one to you.
We will be in contact with yourself in the near future to organise some research with yourself about Trusts and Estates.

Thank you,
Trusts and Estates team"

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

It’s a device well-known to Orwell’s Ministry of Truth.

Jack Harper

2 Likes

Julian

Sorry that it doesn’t work for you - it works on my office version of outlook - it’s an e-mail address, not a website link.
regards

Maxine Higgins
Citroen Wells

It worked for me Julian.
service_team17.digital_ddcn@digital.hmrc.gov.uk

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

Can you believe it - just 22 months since my first post, the online update page has gone live. You need to have previously registered the trust but you can now provide updates. Please note, I have not gone through the full login, as I will wait to do a Trust Return before completing, to be sure of any changes but good luck everyone else!

Lucy Orrow CTA TEP
Lambert Chapman LLP

1 Like

Brilliant news Lucy! Now let’s hope it works.

Sara

Sara Spencer | Trust Manager

www.trustandestate.co.uk

Sara Spencer Ltd, 8
Kingsway, Harrogate, HG1 5NQ

07952 651881 | 01423

Sara.spencer@trustandestate.co.uk

Privacy Notice - details of our legal basis for processing your information, retention period for data held, security of your data, your rights under the
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) including the right to complain can be found in our full Privacy notice

This email and the information contained in it and in any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this email
in error please notify us immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not use, disclose, copy, distribute, retain or rely on this email or any part of it.

Please note that whilst we try to ensure that attachments are virus-free, we cannot accept responsibility for situations where this is not
the case.

Any information in this email is advice from the business and not the sender.

Sara Spencer Ltd is a company registered in England, registration number 12304408, registered office 8
Kingsway, Harrogate, HG1 5NQ

1 Like

So, my first attempt to login failed. According to the Trust helpline, you do not need to login if there have been no changes. This is different to what box 20 on the Trust Return suggests so I will keep trying.

In the meantime, I have not ticked the box and put a white space note explaining why.

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

Excellent news - let’s hope it does what it says on the tin…

Maxine Higgins
Citroen Wells

Do you know if it is possible yet to update online for a complex estate as opposed to a trust? I have found the page for trusts, but can’t find anything for estates, and the trusts page does not seem to work for estates, or at least it did not recognise my estate UTR.

Diana Smart
Gordons LLP

@Orrowlo Just to be clear are we not required to register ALL trusts. I read it was as of March this year then read it was now delayed. Also do you charge the client a set fee for dealing with the registration and will you going forward for registering non income producing trusts? Thank you all your informative posts re this topic.

Lucy Leach