Application of GWROB exception S102B FA 1986

Peter I’m a little confused as to your post which I assume relates to my last post?

Malcolm finney

Thank you Malcolm this is very helpful

Please don’t be, I was simply pointing out that a fairly basic mathematical tool was not taught as such during a certain period in English schools.

It was thought, in my view wrongly, that the use of examples was sufficient for the mechanism and the full breadth of its potential to be understood.

It now seems to be becoming part of “precision drafting”.

Perhaps the comment was otiose, in which case I can delete it.

I suspect that the tool is now being more accurately taught in the UK under pre-Brexit EU influence.

It was relevant, in that the “règle de trois” supports your point and it may have been that lack of understanding that provoked the error which you pointed out.

Peter Harris
Barrister

Ah, all well then Peter. Thank you for the clarification.

All I could think of, as a mathematician, is that “regal de trois” refers mathematically speaking to two ratios which are equal, eg an equation of the form a/b = c/x, where a, b and c are known and x the denominator is to be determined, and is so determined, by taking the numerator c of the second ratio and multiplying it by the reciprocal of the first ratio (a/b).

Malcolm Finney

Malcom the subject [application-of-gwrob-exception-s102b-fa-1986) being discussed was difficult enough but you and Peter have taken it to a much higher level than this mortal can understand!

Patrick Moroney
BWL Solicitors

2 Likes

Don’t worry Patrick. It’s just all smoke and mirrors… at least on my part.

I couldn’t speak for Peter !

Malcolm Finney

If it wasn’t for the math(s), I would have been taking a long walk off a Planck uncertainty constant…

Peter Harris
Barrister