Appointment to terminate NRB discretionary trust before estate administration completed

My clients wish to appoint a sum of money to the deceased’s granddaughter and the balance in favour of the surviving spouse in order to terminate a NRB discretionary trust. We are within two years of the deceased’s death and have the Grant of Probate in the estate but the administration of the estate has not yet been completed. The terms of the Will are that the overriding powers shall be exercisable during the Trust Period and the Trust Period is defined in the Will as “… the period of 80 years beginning with the date of my death.” Is this wording sufficient to mean that the appointment can be made before completion of the administration of the estate?

Yes, the trustees may make an appointment, notwithstanding that no assets have been appropriated to them in satisfaction of the trust legacy.

If assets are appropriated to the granddaughter or spouse in consequence of the appointments, for CGT purposes they would normally receive such assets as “legatee” under s.62(4) TCGA 1992, although for distribution purposes, such assets would need to be revalued as at the date they are appropriated to the granddaughter or widow (applying Re Charteris, 1917).

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

I agree with Paul. Appointments prior to residue having been ascertained may be made by the trustees on the basis that the trust has been validly constituted from the deceased’s date of death.

Typically, no CGT charge arises on any appointments.

Malcolm Finney

Many thanks Paul.

Lisa Homer TEP

For and on behalf of Pickering & Butters LLP

19 Greengate Street

Stafford

ST16 2LU

Tel: 01785 603060

Fax: 01785 607500

www.pb4law.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT WORK ON A FRIDAY

WE REMAIN OPEN

Our Stafford and Rugeley offices remain open for face-to-face appointments, although we do also offer telephone and video appointments if preferred.

For the latest information on what we are doing as a firm to protect our staff, clients and visitors please click here.

Pickering & Butters are committed to safeguarding your privacy. For details of how we do this please click here to see our Privacy Policies

CYBERCRIME ALERT, BANK DETAILS: Please be aware that there is a significant risk posed by cyber fraud, specifically affecting emails enclosing bank account details. If you receive an email from Pickering & Butters requesting or providing bank details please speak to your lawyer immediately to clarify. Please note that our bank details WILL NOT change during the course of a transaction. We will not accept responsibility if you transfer money into an incorrect account.

Registered Office: 19 Greengate Street Stafford ST16 2LU DX 14551 STAFFORD 1 Tel: 01785 603060 Fax: 01785 607500

Also at: Market Square Rugeley Staffordshire WS15 2BN DX 18051 RUGELEY Tel: 01889 803080 Fax: 01889 803081

In support of our efforts to reduce waste and help the environment please click here to view our regulatory information