Excluded property settlements

Dealing with a client who has been in the UK for some years, whilst his children are going through education. He was born in the Philippines, so he cannot be a formerly domiciled resident. He is some years from being deemed to be domiciled here in the UK, but it’s possible he may still be here to fall foul of the 15 out of 20 rule

Individuals who were formerly domiciled residents, who had set up excluded property settlements from which they could benefit before the most recent changes ended up having gift with reservation problems, and their trust treated as they had been UK domiciled throughout

He is considering setting up excluded property settlement and we will carefully check his current status, and warn him of any weaknesses. More widely, I have been searching the revenue manuals to see if I can find a positive comment that he will not have gift with reservation/10 yearly charge problems. I’ve been unable to find anything that says he will suffer that problem, but sadly I cannot find a clear assertion that he won’t.

Interested to hear whether others feel it is clear cut.

Regards

Terry

I don’t believe HMRC have ever formally accepted that the excluded property rules trump GROB but equally, I don’t believe they have ever taken the point.

Some years ago (2005ish?) they changed the manual to say that claims of this sort by taxpayers should be referred to the technical/dispute team, which created some excitement, but then I believe this was quietly reversed/removed some years later.

Andrew Goodman
Osborne Clarke LLP

There has been wide discussions in the past about GWR versus excluded property.

Doesn’t IHTM 14396 deal with your issue?

Malcolm Finney