Online probate applications

It’s interesting, I’ve just called to obtain an update, as it’s now passed 8 weeks, and was told they had been waiting for the IHT421 (which I know they got after the 20 working days because I checked) and now it’s on a pile… let me check what date they are working on…5th October…ok, so mine was submitted on 29th September…oh I’ll get it referred for review…how long will that take…oh I can’t tell you, they are working through in date order…or not as has been proven!

Lucy Orrow CTA TEP
Lambert Chapman LLP

Hi Joanna,

I called on the general number 0300 123 1072, and I also received an automated message saying dont contact them before the 8 weeks! However when I eventually got through I said I had contacted them within the 8 week period but after the 14 day period when the probate office are supposed to confirm that all documents have been received.

The reason I could say this is because they had asked me where the the stamped IHT421 form was from HM Revenue & Customs. I had replied to them about 3 weeks earlier that HMRC had sent it direct.

The probate office then said that the 14 day rule was only in respect of my initial application , not their subsequent requests for additional information! I said it was not clear this was the case from their correspondence!

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on.
John Horner

Gemma

I had to make a formal complaint to get anywhere regarding the probate registry and have also suggested that my client contact her local MP, which she did. I have also added another link regarding probate applications which may assist. Here is the link for the formal complaint.

https://complain-about-a-court-or-tribunal.form.service.justice.gov.uk/

When I also spoke to the Probate Registry telephone call handers I requested that they escalate the matter to their team leaders. I am certain you will get there in the end.

Leah Harper
Windeatts

Hi all,

I can now confirm that I received grant of probate after only 3 days, not the up to 10 working days!

So I think that the probate office will say that in my case the online system was a resounding success!
In summary from initial application to actually having the grant of probate (Harlow Office) in my hands took exactly 7 weeks (30th September to 18th November).

I am not complaining. Perhaps things really have improved after the poor start? Lets hope this is the case and my good experience is not just an isolated example?

John Horner.

1 Like

Thanks,

Finally got through to the probate office after being on hold for an hour and a half. Turns out probate was granted yesterday and is in the post and should be with us in 5 working days. So that will be 7 weeks from submitting, 5 weeks from confirmation of receipt so quite good all things considered!

Thanks for all of your help

Joanna Gloster
Mag Consulting

Since my post, I have made complaints on 5 different applications that are all snarled in the system with nothing happening on them (in some cases since September!)

So now I wait to hear from them regarding my complaint…

Gemma Van Duke
Bishopsgate Law

1 Like

Gemma

You will get there eventually and they have now responded to my complaint and issued the probate. They had admitted there was a major issue over a few months with the scanning process, but they have now rectified this and are starting to sort things out. The only detail they offered was that things had not been uploaded correctly? No consolation for you at the moment. My only advice (which I am sure you have done anyway) is keep a note and time record of all the people you speak to.

I have responded to my complaint reply asking for compensation for my client as her bill was far more than expected through no fault of hers and I await their response. I don’t hold much hope, but if you don’t ask, you don’t get!

Leah Harper
Windeatts

You are all further ahead with online applications than I am - having eventually established which colleague had the myHMCTS account, his administrator privileges have vanished and he is unable to set up accounts for me (or anyone else for that matter) to even start an application, and the ‘help’ team at myHMCTS are painfully slow at responding to emails. I am greatly relieved the grace period for paper applications has been extended, but am not holding my breath that we will be any further forward by January!

Alison Elwess
Adie Pepperdine Ltd

I have two applications outstanding, one from early September. Both are IHT400 matters so it seems to be that is where the system is falling down. The September one the Probate Registry have had the IHT421 for 6 weeks and it hasn’t even be relooked at yet, i’ve been assured the Grant will be issued next week otherwise I will be making a formal complaint. It is so hard to manage clients expectations with such a lack of consistency in the system.

Lyndzey Smissen
Paytons Solicitors LLP

1 Like

I appear to be going round in circles about where to sent hard copy documents to in certain cases.

1. I am applying for a Grant of Letters of Administration which can’t be done online. Form PA1A says to check PA4SOT to see which registry the forms should be sent to. However, this is does not appear to have been updated since March 2020. Are all documents in every case (whatever the type of application and whether it is online or paper) now to be sent to Harlow or if it is a paper application do you still send them direct to a specific registry (Newcastle in my case)?

2. What address should a Grant that requires amendment be sent to? Harlow or the registry that issued the Grant? I’m assuming the latter, but would be grateful for any guidance.

Sarah Arundel
Taylor Fawcett

I am still waiting for two Grants where the applications were submitted in paper form, in June and July respectively. The first was an excepted estate, so there was no need for an IHT421 and in the second HMRC had written to me before I submitted the papers to the Probate Registry to tell me that they had sent the IHT421 to HMCTS, which I noted on the PA1P. The whole system is chaotic.

Cliona O’Tuama

Solicitor

Why is there no edit function! :unamused: I have clicked that I do not have the Will when of course I do and I feel like I’m on some video game, Game Over! Absolutely no way to edit nor advice on what to do next so I am now having to ring them, meant to be doing the school run! The whole roll out process should have been abandoned until Covid was resolved. Disillusioned is not the word.

Rachael Waring

So the estates that I raised complaints on have moved forward, 2 have had the Grants issued and the rest are still being dealt with.

The latest wheeze is that I have received two of the grants with none of the copies we paid for. Upon calling the Probate helpline they have advised they send the original Grant out and then the office copies within 20 working days. How on EARTH are you supposed to administer an estate in that way? And that reasoning is farcical considering that I received 2 Grants last week, one that had been applied for in July and one at the beginning of November and the recent application had all the copies with it and the either only had one of the grants.

So I am not raising a further complaint about this since it is ridiculous to say that they will send the copies out 20 days later when they are EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL GRANT

Gemma Van Duke
Bishopsgate Law

My latest fun, having still not received grant after 11 weeks and three phone calls, 36 minutes on hold on the probate line…only to be put through to ‘Andy’s answerphone’. ??

I shall try again tomorrow.

Lucy Orrow CTA TEP
Lambert Chapman LLP

In reply to Gemma, even with the new shambolic procedure I always receive the additional Grants with the “original”. So far none has been missing. Whoever on the Probate helpline told Gemma that the “copies” are sent within twenty working days was incorrect, as that is not what I have experienced.

I am about to make complaints in two estates where I have still not received Grants. The application in one estate was submitted in June and the other was submitted in July. The cheques for the Probate fee in both estates have been cashed, so the applications were received by the Probate Registry.

Cliona O’Tuama

Solicitor

Yes it is ridiculous that someone said the copies of the grant would arrive within 20 days after the original was received. One thing that I can’t quite get is that I cannot tell the difference between the original grant and the copies. Maybe it’s my eyesight but if anyone can tell me how to spot the difference, I would be delighted.

Patrick Moroney

Hello,

What are the current timescales Harlow are ascknowledging receipt of documents?

It seems February was a particular bad month for them and I have several dopcuments sent which have not yet been acknowledged.

Regards

Further to Rick’s post above, does anyone know how long acknowledgement are taking?

I submitted an application over a month ago - the fee has been debited from our PBA account but the MYHMCTS page still states that they are ‘awaiting documents’. Reading previous comments I am concerned that the original documents submitted may have been lost.

What is the best number to contact HMCTS on to check the position? (I am sure I will get the automated message telling me that I can’t chase until 8 weeks has passed).

I have submitted a couple of applications direct to Newcastle Probate Registry recently (non standard paper applications ) which have been turned around in good time. The new systems is a complete shambles.

In reply to Sarah I had a similar experience in that the HMCTS website said that they were still awaiting the documentation. I tracked the documents using the Royal Mail website only to find that the parcel could not be tracked and that was confirmed on the the telephone with Royal Mail and as a result they considered it as lost.

The Probate Registry helpline said that I would need to swear an affidavit which I prepared and then managed to find a solicitor willing to do the swear which was not easy in the current climate.

On the morning of the swear I received an email from the Probate Registry advising that the Grant was issuing so the documents had been with them all along. What I have taken from this is that awaiting documents can actually mean waiting to be dealt with.

Last Thursday ‘MyHMCTS’ was awaiting documents (sent 11th February) for a Grant on non taxable estate. On Monday, the Grant was received.

Friday must have been a busy day.

Sarah Targett

Hudsons Solicitors