Trust Registration Service New Changes

Hi Patrick

I raised the example of John in February in another posting.

Since then I raised it on the Agent Forum with HMRC. The initial reply I had suggested that if the will is silent on creation of a trust then there is no express trust, it is an estate in administration. It does not need to register as a trust on TRS.

I then queried whether the example of John was correct as the inference must be that of the administration runs over two years it is registerable. HMRCD replied saying that the example was correct as it does not say that the estate is a trust, it says the terms of the will specifically create an express trust. They also said that TRSM23020 would be update to make it clearer on the next review.

In the meantime I have also attended a course on which it was said that estates where the administration runs on more than two years are registerable even where the will does not include an actual trust

1 Like

If the legislation is there and requires a trust to comply with FATCA reporting requirements, and further legislation is there and requires a trust to comply with TRS reporting requirements, then yes, Peter, it does.

In your post there’s altogether too much “…only intended to…” and “…underlying principle…” and the like. We can’t go back to historical concepts to overturn Parliament’s clear intentions. Write to your MP.

You are clearly right, Julian. The legislation is there. It creates the problem, evidently not the practical solution.
Until an Act of Parliament converts a trust of land into a movable the trust of land remains an immovable and not a historical concept. Note ToLATA which recently removed the doctrine of conversion.

Based on Sch 3A MLR 2017 and HMRC’s TRS manual it seems to me that:

1. Has a trust been created by will?
If, no, then no registration requirements.
If, yes, then still no registration is required for the immediately (ie from death) ensuing two years.

2. Is the trust is still in existence at two years from the date of death?
If, yes, then registration is required.
If, no, then no registration is required (even if post the two years some aspect of the estate administration continues).

Malcolm Finney

One moment, Malcolm, the fourth of your points indicates that if a trust is not in existence two years after death no registration is required. But how can a trust have gone out of existence if there are some aspects of its administration still to be dealt with? We cannot distinguish estate administration from trust administration, can we?

Julian Cohen

Simons Rodkin

Julian, rightly or wrongly, I was interpreting HMRC’s comments and
Sch 3A MLR 2017 as meaning that if a will trust is for example wound up within two years of death registration would not be required.

In this regard I had answered (correctly or not) above re Patrick’s query
“The trust was created by will and is exempt from registration for a two year period; the trust ceased within this two year period on the surrendering of the life interest and the remainder beneficiaries acquired absolute title”.

Malcolm Finney

I have just spoken to HMRC about whether or not the bare trust has to register. They were not very helpful! Their first response was to tell me that it was not for them to advise me whether or not the bare trust ought to be registered, but when pressed said that the original trust should be closed down and a new registration created for the bare trust as non tax paying. Presumably that would need to be closed when the trustees finally rid themselves of the assets. What they are essentially saying is that by far the majority of trusts will have to register and deregister twice because pretty much every trustee holds assets on a bare trust when an express trust comes to a legal end. I can’t believe that they are serious about that (and I’m not convinced that the person I spoke to fully understood the issue)!

Isn’t it great that HMRC are asking trustees to ask a professional…?

I had gone through the same thought process, and understood one closes and another has to be registered, which is just ridiculous.
However exclusion 14 may be in point, this is the “commercial exclusion”, or exclusion 15, which I read as being where property is held on trust while the legal title ‘catches’ up with beneficial interest.
I have taken the view that if a trust appoints assets out but there is a short time where the trustees still hold on bare trust, because legal title takes say 6 months to sort, it is excluded.
However if the deed appoints out the property from the trust and mentions it is held on bare trust I am not so sure, as a bare trust is specifically mentioned. I do feel the exclusions can still apply.

Overall it is a mess. I attended a CIOT webinar on the TRS and they said they are talking to HMRC about these problems areas. So where is the guidance and answers? It is getting late in the day now.
Far too many “trusts” seem to be caught!

I have had the following reply from HMRC (with copy of my question below for context on the specific query). So this confirms that any gift to a minor in a Will which is not satisfied wtihin 2yrs of DOD will require registration.

From: wayne.beeston@hmrc.gov.uk <wayne.beeston@hmrc.gov.uk>
Sent: 15 August 2022 16:47
Subject: RE: Query on TRSM23160 interpretation

Thank you for your email,

I have received a reply from policy as below

‘If a trust is initially created by a will, it is excluded from registration for a period of two years to allow for dealing with the estate following the death of the settlor. If the estate administration is completed within 2 years, but there is an ongoing express trust, this ongoing trust would need to register on TRS after two years from the date of death (see TRSM23020). In the example provided, there is already a trust: a trust created by will giving £1k to the trustees to hold for the grandchild until the age of 21. This would be a trust created by will, and no TRS registration consequences arise until 2 years after the death of the testator, so the questioner’s second suggested answer is correct. The trust is created by will and therefore registration after 2 years from death is required.’

My question to HMRC:

HMRC TRS manual (TRSM23160) provides following exclusion:
.…], trusts created in the course of opening a bank account for a minor child or person lacking mental capacity are excluded from registration as express trusts

This is narrow wording and slightly ambiguous. My question is:

• In cases where a Will provides a pecuniary legacy for a minor e.g. £1,000 to grandchild upon age 21yrs, if the Executor pays out to a parent of such minor and that parent opens a bank account for the minor, is that then excluded and no obligation for Executor to complete TRS?

OR (which the precise wording above seems to suggest) is it the case that the trust is created by the Will, rather than strictly speaking created “in the course of opening a bank account” and therefore is TRS required?

Not any gift. A gift to a minor absolutely or contingently on attaining a specified age or deferred until then will not involve a trust if s31 TA 1925 is disapplied. Of course if the words “on trust” are used though superfluous it seems an express trust would be registrable.

Jack harper

Thank you for the reply Jack, but I am not sure I follow your reasoning particularly as regards section 31 TA 1925, i.e. how would that section being disapplied mean that there is no bare Trust for a minor?

It is your view/interpretation of HMRC rules therefore that if a Will were simply to state: “I give £2,000 to my grandson” (who is a minor) or “I give £2,000 to my grandson John upon attaining the age of 18yrs” there is no registrable Trust?

But if it states £2,000 upon Trust for my grandson until the age of 18yrs then of course there would be?

I wonder if HMRC will distinguish to this extent, or if they will argue the gift in the former example amounts to an express Trust by expressing the gift to a minor as contingent

There is a fundamental distinction between a specific gift outright to a beneficiary in a Will and one left on trust to him. Either may be absolute contingent or deferred. If the first type of gift not only creates no express trust it does not even justify the implication of a trust (except of the legal estate in land given to a minor, see below).

s31 TA 1925 applies “Where any property is held by trustees in trust for any person for any interest whatsoever, whether vested or contingent”. It does not create a trust; it is a pre-condition of its application that a trust exists, though it may surely be express or implied. It then proceeds to set out the terms to be implied by statute into that trust unless disapplied: s69(2). My earlier answer was (uncharacteristically!) too brief and so confusing: s31 imposes statutory terms on an existing trust, it does not create one. So for TRS the issue is not whether s31 applies but whether a trust to which it applies or not is express.

A minor can own any kind of property except a legal estate in land: s1(6) LPA 1925. s19 formerly then went on broadly to create a statutory trust for sale of the property but was repealed by ToLaATA 1996 Sch4 so that under its s1 the implied bare trust of the legal estate is now a trust of land. So an outright gift of a freehold to a minor in a will, if it creates a trust at all of the legal title, creates an implied trust so not registrable under TRS as non-taxable and without having to resort to the exclusion for trusts imposed by legislation. Fortunate because although the 1996 Act governs trusts for land it arguably does not impose one (see ss4 and 5).

So, to use shares as an example, a gift of all my shares in X Ltd to Y aged 10 need not be on trust. The Articles of X Ltd may prevent Y being registered until 18 though the PRs may be and sometimes a parent. It is unlikely that any such alternative arrangement would be construed as creating a trust given s126 CA 2006. If a bare trust of the legal title is to be implied it will be non-registrable under TRS whether taxable or non-taxable.

If the gift is not on trust then s31 cannot apply to it. For the avoidance of doubt it can be excluded. It can also be excluded where it would certainly otherwise apply e.g. the gift is to Y for a life interest subject to defeasance by a power of appointment of which he is an object (to avoid his being absolutely entitled to capital at 18). This difference is vital for income tax. Provided s31 does not apply Y is taxed on the income from the shares as it arises using his personal allowance and own rate bands. The trustees do not have to distribute the income to achieve that. If it applies the trust rate is charged and income has to be distributed to him to achieve that same goal.

So to answer your question, the first two gifts of £2000 are not given on express trusts. In my view nor can any trust be implied. Strictly s31 has no application but could be excluded to avoid doubt. I am not sure whether the second gift is contingent or deferred but it does not matter. No trust arises, certainly no express trust. The third gift creates an express trust, so it is registrable. s31 applying makes no difference to TRS although if it attracts interest it will affect the income tax treatment of that.

HMRC can of course argue what they like but they have to accept the general law. A trust is either express or not. There is no such thing as an implied or constructive express trust or a trust that is to be treated for TRS or any other purpose as express because the donor could have used an express trust but didn’t or because HMRC would have preferred that. Where a trust is implied, whether s31 applies or is disapplied, the trust is not registrable under TRS as non-taxable. It is not even registrable as a taxable trust because despite being taxable in terms of Reg 45(14) it is not “relevant” : Regs 42(2)(b) and 45(1). The trustees may have other tax notification obligations e.g. s7 TMA 1970.

I think it unlikely that anyone will succeed in arguing, where an express trust has been used (e.g. following a precedent), that it is superfluous and so is non-registrable. I am not sure whether avoiding TRS in any given situation will ever be paramount or significant but your examples indicate that using the words “upon Trust” requires registration whereas if omitted they do not, and regardless of whether any trust is then to be implied or not it would not be registrable, and grandson cannot get his hands on the money until 18 whether the gift is contingent or deferred. In view of the size of the sum TRS might seem a cost or hassle worth avoiding if the choice is open.

Jack Harper

Thank you Jack for taking the time to clarify, all makes sense now.

Nevertheless, I have gone back to HMRC today to confirm this because unfortunately it is not what their original reply indicates (and albeit we may argue that there is no Trust, I am not sure I would wish to risk penalties for my clients if HMRC takes a different view)

I entirely agree. And I hope clients will understand the need to evaluate the cost of complying with TRS against the penalties and accept that in doubtful situations the prudent line of least resistance, though it sticks in my throat, is to follow HMRC’s advice or published view however perverse and excoriated in this Forum

Jack Harper