Online probate applications

I’m just wondering what people’s thoughts and experiences are of the online system for probate applications.

Whilst working from home and without access to the usual postage and printing facilities I thought the system would be ideal, at least for intestacy cases, but have been surprised to see that you still need to submit a signed legal statement which rather defeats the purpose of an electronic system.

Joel Weitzman
The Probate Practice

1 Like

I think the label “online” for the new system is misleading. It automates the production of the statement of truth. The statement of truth then has to be printed and signed by the applicant. For the application to proceed a paper bundle has to be posted to the probate registry including the actual paper will and any codicils to it, IHT205, photocopy of the statement of truth bearing copy of the applicant’s signature and a cover sheet. It seems to me just as paper heavy as the old system.

Nicola Hopper
Williamson & Barnes

My understanding is that the only advantage should be that one is able to track the application. I haven’t attempted to do this yet as I have only recently submitted my first two ‘online’ applications, having initially got the clients to sign PA1P forms which I have now filed.
In one of the cases only one of the three executors was applying and as communication with the others had been by email and telephone, I did not have a note of their addresses, intending to email the notice of power reserved to them. However when I came to the online process, their addresses were required. Obviously I had to stop the process until I had made contact with them again, which was a bit of a pain. I am however wondering whether it would nevertheless be useful to have a PAP1 completed and signed by the client before proceeding to the online system. I’ll be interested to know what others think.

Patrick Moroney