SRA - Transparency in price and service

Has anyone looked at the SRA example pricing and transparency templates for probate work? The templates are apparently a ‘quote’ for work and we need to explain ‘anything that could affect the price quoted’. The templates also use words like ‘intangible assets’ yet the guidance states that we are should explain technical terms in plain English. I could go on…

the link is www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/guidance/ethics-guidance/price-transparency.page

Are STEP making any representations to the SRA about this?

Sarah Arundel
Taylor Fawcett

Of all the Private Client areas I work in probate is the least predictable in terms of issues arising that cause extra cost and delays, but that is the one I’m supposed to quote for?

Iain Cameron
Acer Legal

One of STEP’s committees is looking at this paper and will be making a representation to the SRA.
Emily Deane
STEP Technical Counsel

Any progress with the Emily? I ask I am trying to put something together today for a meeting with our managing partner next week. Having read the SRA guidance, seems clear to me its been put together with little understanding of:
a) how we (and I believe many solicitors etc) provide quotes now i.e. by meeting with the prospective Exor clients and going through matter in details
b) providing detailed up-front quotes relating to the actual (not hypothetical) work required
c) explain other matters may mean a change to the quote

Begs the question if the SRA have actually consulted with solicitors etc on how things are already done

Karl Taylor
Parker Rhodes Hickmotts

I’m late to the party but have read the template and note with despair that the example does not apply to any of the probate work we have carried out in the last three years.

I particularly like this nugget of wisdom: “Avoid providing an estimate figure of the tax payable. Instead, you could provide a link to an online inheritance tax calculator that you trust e.g. HMRC”. No such calculator exists.

Hargreaves Landsdown have one which crunches all the numbers and concludes “Based on what you have told us your estate may be liable to inheritance tax.” Thanks.

I have nothing constructive to add, just getting it off my chest…

Andrew Goodman
Osborne Clarke LLP