TRS - Registering Estates

Has anyone else had issues with registering an estate?

I’ve filled in all the details, but then when I try to submit the registration I’m getting the following error message:

400 - We couldn’t find the page you’re looking for

This could be because you’ve typed the address incorrectly.

Check that you have entered the correct address.

If you’re still having problems, you can search for what you need in the search box on gov.uk, or return to the HM Revenue and Customs home page to find what you’re looking for.

Any ideas? (I haven’t typed the address incorrectly!!)

Thanks,

Laura Keer
Adams and Remers

It’s a common problem, Laura, and crops up when trying to register trusts or estates. HMRC said it would be fixed by the update they were running last weekend, but unfortunately not.

Ruth Barron
DWF LLP

Many thanks for replying Ruth - glad it’s not just me! I’ve managed to register a few trusts, but the last couple of estates I’ve tried to register just won’t submit. Let’s hope the next update sorts this out.

Such fun!

Laura Keer
Adams and Remers

The TRS seems to be working again (for now)!

Laura Keer
Adams and Remers

I registered an estate yesterday, long winded but not a problem. However, if you are a corporate executor/PR you can’t register! It seems the only person at HMRC that has looked at this is away until Monday.

Richard Mencner
Cripps LLP

It appears that there are issues with how data is captured, with estates certainly, who knows re trusts.

We have had two UTRs issued for estates and they have been issued to “Suffolk”. After the first, I couldn’t rule out human error and the possibility that I had not completed the fields correctly. After the second, I am certain that I did not make the same mistake twice. For the time being, we will not submit any further estate registrations (unless UTR already issued) as we will have no idea which estate the UTR relates to.

Beyond the issue of the register deadlines, we have a number of estates where tax returns are required but no UTR as yet and we are ready to finalise the administration all bar the tax compliance, so this is making for some unhappy clients.

Katherine Webber
Birketts LLP

I have now been able to register an estate with an organisation as the lead personal representative.

The work-around involves:

• company name spread over the first name and last name fields
  • Date of birth = 01/01/1900
  • National insurance number = No
  • Passport country of issue = “United Kingdom”
  • Passport number = “Corporation”
  • Passport expiry date = “01/01/2099”

Andrew Robinson
Russell-Cooke LLP