Trust register (again!)

Thomas, I agree with you that there is a clear contradiction in HMRC’s guidance of 9 October regarding adding beneficiaries of a class who are not named in the Deed.
The webinar on Friday has caused another contradiction; the words used were ,‘if you have a family Trust and the beneficiaries are named individuals in the Deed who are all receiving benefits, then they will all need to be registered.’ Previous guidance suggested that all beneficiaries named in the Deed needed to be added, whether or not they are receiving benefits.
I have called HMRC to try to get this clarified but they seem rather confused and have not been able to answer my question.
Edward Evans
Payne Hicks Beach

Edward, I’ve just raised the point about the conflict between the October guidance, what we have been told as professional bodies and the latest November Talking Points via the Trusts and Estates Group. I’ve also copied in the speaker John Mullholland. I’ve copied in representatives from CIOT, ICAEW and STEP. I’ll let you know what results!
Helen Thornley
ATT Technical Officer

Did anyone pick up, from the webinar, that for those trusts where 2017 SA had gone in without box 20 ticked (TR updated confirmation box) then those trusts would have extended deadline to complete register being until 31 January 2019? I ask, because i have since seen contradictory advice (ATT Briefing Note) saying that the concession, apparently is that the 2017 SA (only) does not need to be amended after the TRS is updated for a tick i box 20 - that can be left to stand (no tick). However, this seems to further confirm that there are no concessions: no exceptions@ all trusts need be on the TR and by 31 January 2018. Given access is so late - why cannot the deadline be extended to by end of tax year (5 April 2018)? That is do’able. I won’t sleep between now and 31 January otherwise!

Jean Grantham
JWPCREERS LLP – York and Selby

I did pick up on that but as 2018 was referred to later I assumed it was an unfortunate and misleading slip of the tongue. I have seen nothing to confirm this extended date.
Ruth Barron
DWF LLP

Thank you Helen. Do you know when you are likely to have an answer from HMRC?

Edward Evans
Payne Hicks Beach

I am pleased to inform you all that I managed to submit my first registration as an agent!
I had to delete the initial data and start afresh.
Sameera Nathoo

No, afraid not. I will start pursuing next week.
Helen Thornley
Association of Taxation Technicians

https://www.step.org/news/uk-revised-hmrc-guidance-resolves-trust-registration-service-uncertainties

Lucy Orrow
Lambert Chapman LLP

1 Like

Lauren Dare

I’m having exactly the same problem.

I’ve been trying for ages and the guidance seems to take you round and round until you end up at square 1.

However, today I had a new message after the UTR and Postcode - they say then want more information. I filled in the form and sent it off telling them I need to set up an Agent Services Account. I got an email telling me to do what I had already done!

It makes me hang my head in despair.

Sunil Vasisht
Lawrence Hamblin

1 Like