Will: signed at the foot or end etc on one page and witnesses siging the next:

I have never had the need to try to prove a Will in which the testator signed and dated on one page and the witnesses did all required of them, but on the next page; there was a time when one could call the probate registry and ask whether at a practical level they would accept it without question (and whether it made a difference if the page on which the witnesses signed is on the back of the page on which the testators signed, or on a separate sheet of papers, the Will being printed on only one side the each page) or whether they would reject it as irremediable, or seek evidence in statements of truth or otherwise, from the witnesses. (solicitors clerks/secretaries in this case it seems).

I appreciate that is a simple point, but I can’t find clear guidance on it. May I please have comments from others with experience of this?

David Martin
Kidd Rapinet

Some time ago I had a Will that was quite similar to the one referred to in David Martin’s post. The Probate Registry asked for an Affidavit from one of the attesting witnesses to explain the circumstances of the signing of the Will.

Very recently I submitted a Will to Probate where the witnesses had signed above the Testator’s signature. I was expecting to be asked for an Affidavit of Attesting Witness but received the Grant without any such request.

Cliona O’Tuama

Solicitor

Thank you very much, Cliona. PR unpredictable but your example points to redoing the Will. I am grateful to you.

David Martin
Kidd Rapinet