Affidavit of heirship for foreign asset

We are dealing with an estate with a property in Greece. The property is registered with the Land Registry in Greece in the names of father and son (both deceased). Both dies intestate and son died first (having never married).

We have appointed a solicitor in Greece to act on our behalf. The Greek solicitor has requested ‘an official legal document stating the UK law under intestacy and that according to that Law how the estate will devolve and that it will now pass to the widow. I believe that this may be referred to as an affidavit of heirship. Does anyone know anyone who may be able to assist us with this document?

Thank you

The document that the Greek authorities will require is called an Affidavit of English Law, which should be prepared by a practising English solicitor or barrister. On the facts of your estates its preparation will be relatively straightforward.

Cliona O’Tuama


I believe the E&W Law firm Stone King has a specialist Greek estates team

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

Thank you both for your assistance