Business Assets and NRB Trust - Not sure how to deal with the NRB element

I am dealing with an estate. The Will contains a combined BPR and NRB discretionary trust. Shares in the deceased’s business qualify for 100% BPR so will pass into the trust. The remainder of the estate is an IPDI for surviving spouse.
There is no real need for assets up the NRB to also pass into the business assets trust which will only cause complications. The problem is, there is not enough cash to satisfy the NRB, but there is a portfolio of properties. We want to avoid a situation whereby a share of a property has to be appropriated into the NRB trust to then be appointed out or loaned out.
I am wondering therefore if it is possible for the trustees to simply loan the full value of the NRB to the surviving spouse without referencing specific assets? There aren’t specific debt/charge provisions in the Will, just a general power to lend.
The alternative option is to appoint out the value of the NRB onto life interest trust but again, I am not sure if it is possible to appoint it to the existing IPDI created under the Will or if doing so will create a separate IPDI which again causes complications.
Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Rebecca Best
Progeny Private Law

Hi Rebecca,

I assume this is old style will with a NRB trust. With the advent of the TNRB, broadly, this type of trust serves little purpose for spouses.

The business assets can be placed into the BPR trust. I would attempt to void the NRB trust as it is not required IMO. You can use s.32 TA 1925 and simply advance the trust assets to the spouse. In real terms, technically making the NRB void.

The spouse would receive £325,000 of the estate value (via the Power of advancement) and the residue into the IPDI. Assumes the NRB beneficiary is spouse only - usually is.
Also assumes that voiding the NRB does not affect any remainderman provisions (if applicable).

Note: I’m making some assumptions here to provide the outcome required. My strategy would be to void the NRB, which is I think what you would like to do.

The executors could just keep it simple and ignore the NRB trust :0)

Richard Bishop
PFEP

I hope that I have mis-understood Richard Bishop’s response, to the extent that he appears to suggest that executors should “ignore” NRB trusts, or that NRB trusts serve little purpose where there is a surviving spouse.

In relation to the latter, whilst many look to the TNRB as saving the IHT position, by placing the funds into the hands of the surviving spouse they cease to be “ring fenced” when it comes to paying care home fees and can also be used as a tax efficient way of passing wealth down the generations (without being taxed in each generation).

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

Hi Paul,

Nope, you heard me very clearly say, they are not required with the transferable nil rate band now available.

Ring fencing for care fee’s:

The ‘mere spes’ argument is pretty thin now, I have not seen it tested in court with care fees, but the position of “judicious encouragement” (see Daga v Bangur - [2019]) i.e the court encouraging trustees to make payments to the beneficiary in the family courts is very common – it is erroneous to suggest that placing assets into trust will ‘ring fence’ against care fees’ or any other eventuality, certainly inherited assets in trusts are now available in divorce proceedings. See Whaley v Whaley [2011].

And - passing down wealth to future generations, (if required) - I’d consider an IPDI as they are not taxed under the relevant property regime.

Richard Bishop
PFEP

I believe the underlying analysis of the potential care home fees protection by means of a DT is that the beneficiaries cannot be taken to have deprived themselves of anything CRAG-wise because the creation of a will trust is a unilateral action by the deceased. A DOV may therefore be at risk if it varies the Will e.g. to create such a trust.

The Court’s wide-ranging powers to grant financial remedies in divorce are not unlimited and inevitably there is much case law. It can vary a settlement with a “nuptial element”. This can include one made by a parent but this element is by no means present just because the eligible beneficiaries include persons married to each other.

The other main area is where the Court can make an order e.g. lump sum against one party to the marriage which is greater than otherwise because trust funds can be regarded as in effect a financial resource of that party. It has no jurisdiction to make an order directly against the trustees or the trust funds. Most obviously it will act where the trust, though not a sham, is just a money-box reserve earmarked for that person, as in Charman, and the trustees are stooges.In Whaley the husband argued that the order would put improper pressure on the trustees but the Court found that “the trustees of both the Farah Trust and the Yearling Trust were likely to do whatever the husband asked including making capital available to him”. It would be unusual to make an order that could only realistically be satisfied by the beneficiary party requesting the trustees to make a payment to them from the trust. It did so exceptionally in M v W (Ancillary Relief) [2010] EWHC 1155 (Fam). It only ever does so by reference to numerous factors applied carefully according to settled principle and approaches the integrity of the trust structure with respect tinged with pragmatism but occasionally scepticism; and it must at least consider the possible enforcement difficulties. The Court is also fully aware that excessive distribution to one beneficiary may well prejudice the entitlement of others.

In Daga v Bangur Holman J held:
“59. In my view the trustees in this case are not likely but, indeed, are highly unlikely to make funds available to the wife whatever I may do or say. They are not themselves within the jurisdiction of this court. They are a professional trust corporation. There are very strong letters of wishes, as I have already noted, and the position of the father could not be more clear. There never have been any distributions even to the wife herself, as settlor, nor to or for her very needy son. Further, the husband himself said in his oral evidence that he accepts that most likely her father’s attitude will determine the trustees’ attitude. In these circumstances, in my view, it is highly unlikely that the trustees would make any payments intended to benefit the wife’s former husband whatever I may do or say. Accordingly, I cannot make an order in reliance upon the funds in trust; and to treat the wife as having about £20 million plus “available” to her as Mr Webster did in paragraph 4 of his opening note is, frankly, fanciful.”

If the trustees refuse, the only remedy would be an action for due administration by the beneficiary. The Court takes into account as a relevant factor the trustees’ likely response and their stated intentions if available, though not slavishly. By contrast an IPDI is a clear financial resource beneficially owned by a party, though a little precarious if subject to wide overriding powers of appointment which may or may not be exercised in favour of that party. It may well operate as a superior alternative to a statutory protective trust as being more flexible. The approach of the Court to it will likely be similar to its approach to a DT.

I have no doubt that such IPDI or discretionary trusts still have useful ring fencing characteristics where the lifetime settlor or will maker wishes to protect beneficiaries from themselves or others and prevent supposedly undeserving third parties from benefiting e.g drug dealers, brewers and distillers, bookmakers, creditors, HMRC, and unsuitable partners, present or future. It is prudent in these circumstances to appoint independent-minded trustees and here perhaps not family members (so that they can all take their frustrations out on the trustees and not each other). In general I shy away from professional trustees on the grounds of cost and a tendency to seek the Court’s directions at the drop of a hat and so the family trustees can obtain advice wherever they freely choose.

A lifetime disposition can be set aside under s37 MCA 1973 but not one in a Will or codicil. There is however the alarming prospect of a double dip where an unforeseen and unforeseeable event justifies the setting aside of a previous financial remedies order (the Barder principle). A consent order barring a former spouse from family provision under the 1975 Act will hold sway (provided they do not later cohabit). While death can be a Barder event my understanding as a tax not a family law expert is that such a consent order is not a financial order that can be set aside.

Whether in a Will a DT or an IPDI singing and dancing is better for ring-fencing purposes must take tax into account their very different tax profiles.

I regret once again being an incorrigible exponent of prolixity but I do not think Richard’s brevity should deter anyone from astutely trying to ring fence.

Jack Harper

Dear Richard

Whilst I appreciate that the introduction of the transferable nil rate band in 2007 was heralded as obviating the need to create nil rate band trusts (or even the use of the nil rate band) on the first death of a couple (whether married or in civil partnership), I do not agree that nil rate band trusts are no longer required.

I also do not quite understand why decisions of the Family Courts - in providing judicious encouragement to trustees to bail out a beneficiary over their divorce settlement - might apply to a testator gifting of an entitlement from their estate away from the surviving spouse/partner for the purposes of care funding. Local authorities have sought to establish recourse to such assets in many cases and, to date, I understand the courts have roundly dismissed all such claims. Many of our fellow practitioners recommend the use of nil rate trusts to avoid the loss of an inheritance to care fees as this has effectively been endorsed by the courts as a valid measure.

In any event, I hope you agree it is inappropriate for executors to just ignore the existence of a nil rate trust within a will (even though we might have differing views as to how they might deal with it under the powers given to them by the will).

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Hi Paul

The last sentence of my answer was ironic. Why I placed a ;0).

I suggested (you can read above) they create the trust and advance the assets if the NRB Trust was not beneficial to administration of the estate. Which it was not.

In this case we have a IPDI to use. No IPDI and I’d have suggested using the NRB Trust.

Using trusts to mitigate care fees IMO is fraught. I’ve sold bonds where the local authority does include them. Others do not. There is no hard and fast rules. So I avoid. That’s my personal view.

Other practitioners and executors may do as they please.

Richard Bishop
PFEP

JH

You miss the point. Ring fence to your hearts content. I would not advise ring fencing to avoid care fees.

The courts cannot make orders against third parties. The concept of judicious encouragement is easily transferable to a son and daughter (trustees) who hold considerable trust assets for their mother who pleads poverty and requires fully funded care.

If a case comes to court. I’d suggest the judge would encourage the son and daughter to pay towards the fees.

Richard Bishop
PFEP

Actually I rarely miss the point, so my clients used to tell me. The trustees of the ring fenced assets are entirely free to use them to pay the care home resident’s fees if the resident is an eligible beneficiary. There is then a choice driven by the family’s wishes. There may even be a relevant Letter of Wishes from the Settlor. They are not then in the hands of a bureaucrat at a local authority. What evidence is there that such bureaucrats claim to have or actually use “judicious encouragement” to twist the arms of trustees? I am sure members of this forum will have come across it if anyone has. “The concept of judicious encouragement is easily transferable to a son and daughter (trustees)” is a statement which requires chapter and verse within the bounds of client confidentiality.

Jack Harper

I would like Richard to explain why the assets of a discretionary trust settled, in lifetime or by Will, from property provided by a party other than the care home resident can be taken by a local authority to fund that resident’s fees. I believe that is what he is saying. Unless I am wrong I would welcome his analysis of the legal position. Less cryptic would be good.

Jack Harper

2 Likes

Dear Richard

I’m afraid that “:0)” means nothing to me, hence why I had not understood your closing remark to be ironic. Hopefully, other subscribers to the forum understood the symbol and have not been mis-lead into thinking that it was a proposition you support.

Other than in relation to care fees, I note your observations relate to the specific case raised at the start of this topic.

I agree that some local authorities “try it on” - seeking to leverage monies out of trust funds set up other than by the person in care. I understand that, more often, they succeed only by pushing the trustees to “exhaustion”.

As you suggest, it is for executors and trustees to make their own decisions when approached for the payment of care fees. Such decisions should, of course. be taken in line with their duties to the trust/estate and informed by appropriate legal advice.

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP