Gift to grandchildren - when does the class close?

A Will leaves residue to named grandchildren and ‘any other grandchildren who should be born after the writing of this will’. The deceased has male children who could potentially father more children. I am unclear on when the class closes.

I have read other topics on the trust forum regarding when a close closes but none quite match the above circumstances. I understand the deceased’s intention was to leave the residue to his grandchildren who were alive at the time he wrote his will and any other grandchildren born between writing his will and the date of his death. I am hoping to avoid an application for rectification.

I suggest that the “rule” in Andrews v Partington (1791) applies - the class closes to “new entrants” when the first grandchild attains age 25, or at the time of the testator’s death if any of the grandchildren have already reached that age by then.

If the testator had intended the class to close on their death, that would need t have been specifically stated.

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

Attains age 25 or 21?

Having seen Iain’s post, I realise that in my initial response I had (incorrectly?) assumed there to be an age contingency.

If there is no age contingency, then the class closes on the death of the testator, although may also include any child born alive who was “entre sa mere” at the date of death (i.e. had been conceived before the death of the testator).

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

PO Box 421, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 0EX

T: 07712 664127

Email: paul@paulsaunders.net

Confidentiality: This email message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is intended for the addressee and if you are not the intended recipient you should not copy or use the contents nor disclose them to anybody else. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return of email immediately and delete this message and its attachment(s) together with all copies in whatever form.

Being pedantic Paul, the phrase is “en ventre sa mere”.

Cliona O’Tuama

2 Likes

Hi Cliona

No, not being pedantic at all - a rather embarrassing error (for which of course I blame spellcheck).

I would not wish others to adopt the wrong phrase as this could be misunderstood.

I need to make sure I double check more carefully before hitting the Send button.

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Entre se mere is Spanish(ish) for Oedipal inclinations.

Curious, the Norman French phrase is « en ventre de sa mère ». I wasn’t aware that the Armada achieved any indirect colonisation of English legal terminology….

Peter Harris
Barrister