HMRC not automatically issuing new 'code' for probate

Since the change from 17/1 whereby we must wait for an acknowledgment letter with a unique code from HMRC before being able to proceed to applying for probate. I’ve now discovered that it is up to the applicant to contact HMRC to ask for the letter to be issued and it is not sent out automatically. Today another client phoned the IHT helpline to chase as he had paid the IHT over 4 weeks ago and not received anything from them since and was told by HMRC that now they had called they could send the letter out. This is not the process they published -anybody else having this issue?

I have received a letter from HMRC with a code in all the estates where I have submitted an IHT400 since the change in procedure. Perhaps I am just lucky!

Cliona O’Tuama

I have also been sent codes without requesting them. I can’t imagine that you would need to manually request (bar occasions of oversight on their part), HMRC will never have an excuse to close the helpline with that attitude.

Same, all codes sent without need to call.

Still a farce though. Three months its been since the problems was highlighted and still the same ridiculous process…a lot of people are on big salaries to dream this up, or at best fail to grasp the problem of such a procedure.