Is IHT charged against an asset a deductible cost for CGT purposes

Hi all,

Can I pick your collective brains with a situation I have not come across before.

Situation is this: Will gifts a property subject to tax to beneficiary A. Thanks to the increase in popularity of costal properties that we have seen over the past year or so, the property is selling for a substantial gain. The DV has agreed the DOD value but the IHT on it is still outstanding and will be discharged on sale later in the year.

Client is asking whether the IHT payable on the property can be taken into account in the CGT calculation to reduce the gain, owing to the fact that the tax is specifically charged against the property. Having by and large dealt with tax free gifts to date and certainly not gifts subject to so much IHT and gain, I am not sure whether the IHT paid can be taken into account against the base cost or otherwise.

Any thoughts would be very much welcome.

Hi Waddy,

Capital gains on the disposal of a property are charged on the increase in value over probate value. Costs are deductible but these are things like legal fees and the costs of changing titles or estate agents. I am not aware of IHT taxes ever being allowable as a deduction.

Lucy Orrow CTA TEP
Lambert Chapman LLP

I agree with Lucy - the IHT is not an allowable deduction when assessing the CGT on the property sale.

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

Thank you Lucy and Paul,

And I think that must be the case because if it were allowable in some why then every sale at probate value would amount to a loss, which I am sure HMRC wouldn’t be to happy about.

TCGA 1992 s38 is exhaustive and makes no reference to payments of IHT on inheritance ranking as deductible expenditure

Malcolm Finney

Sorry to disagree with the great Paul S but I have a niggle that while the full IHT may not be deductible I do recall you can claim something - and there’s some formula for calculating it. Might be worth looking into this more. Think it may be linked to the probate costs.

I wonder if Jan is thinking of the Re Richards allowance – see HMRC’s CGT Manual at CG3056

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Apologies, full CGT Manual reference is CG30560

I wonder if Jan is thinking of the Re Richards allowance – see HMRC’s CGT Manual at CG3056

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP