Issue of UK grant under Rule 30(1)(a) NCPR

I’m looking into an estate where probate has been granted in Nigeria for a Nigerian domiciled individual whose will stated that it applied only to Nigerian assets. There are assets in the UK property (£525k) and a bank account (£735k). There is no will relating to the UK estate so an intestacy has occurred in relation to the UK estate.

Due to the complicated family circumstances, the preference of the family is for the grant in the UK to issue to the persons to whom the Nigerian grant was issued.

My instinct is they should apply for letters of administration in respect of the UK on the basis of Rule 30(1)(a) of the Non Contentious Probate Rules which states:

30(1) Subject to paragraph (3) below, where the deceased died domiciled outside England and Wales, a district judge or registrar may order that a grant, limited in such way as the district judge or registrar may direct, do issue to any of the following persons –

(a) to the person entrusted with the administration of the estate by the court having jurisdiction at the place where the deceased died domiciled;

Does anyone have experience of applying on the basis of Rule 30(1)(a) and if so do you know why the court would or would not issue the grant to them?

Many thanks.

Hi Remi

We have had difficulties with the resealing of Nigerian grants and have taken the decision not to act in any further cases due to strong indications of fraud on previous matters.

Do contact me directly if you would like to discuss further but I think it’s sensible to be aware of potential issues as we were not beforehand.

Thanks

Sarah

Dear Sarah

Thank you, but your response is completely off topic. My question is on the use of Rule 30(1)(c).

On another note, I would suggest that your firm conducts proper due diligence before taking on instructions whether from the UK or any other jurisdiction. They should be aware that fraud occurs everywhere not just in Nigeria.

Kind regards,