Parents of deceased child without a will

Dear All

Can a mother apply for probate for her child without the fathers consent.

if the mother has informed the father of her intention and the father does not provide a clear response then can she go ahead and apply for probate herself?

A response is much appreciated.

I applied for letters of administration in Mother’s sole name for a 19year old deceased. Father was not involved. This was many years ago but she just applied as one of the people entitled to the estate and there was no need for more than one representative.