Residential Care Charges

Can the authority assess a matrimonial home for residential care charges even though the husband is still living in the property? The problem was that the wife and husband had separated and the wife was not in occupation for a short time before she entered into residential care?

The wife has disclosed that they were separated and the authority are trying to get the husband to enter into a deferred payment scheme for wife’s residential care.

Any views would be appreciated.

Lisa Nurse
Graham and Rosen