Two Settlors One Discretionary Trust

Hello

I wanted to clarify the position where two settlors settle an equal sum of money (cash) of £300 000 each into one discretionary Trust. For the purpose of calculating the 10 yearly charge, is there one nil rate band available (£325,000) or two nil rate bands available (£650,000).

Many thanks.

Michelle

Each person is usually treated as having made a separate Trust and therefore I believe each have their own nil rate bands for the purposes of the ten year anniversary charge. See IHTM42253.

Ihsan Ali
I Will Solicitors

Hi Michelle

There are two nil rate bands. Two full sets of IHT100 and supporting pages are needed as each settlor’s IHT history needs looking at separately. Even if they haven’t made CLTs before the £300k, you need to go through the questions so HMRC can see there is nothing to affect the availability of the NRB for each trust.

Sara

Sara Spencer ATII TEP | Trust Manager

www.trustandestate.co.uk

Sara Spencer Ltd, 8 Kingsway, Harrogate, HG1 5NQ

07952 651881 | 01423 524114

Sara.spencer@trustandestate.co.uk

Privacy Notice - details of our legal basis for processing your information, retention period for data held, security of your data, your rights under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) including the right to complain can be found in our full Privacy notice

This email and the information contained in it and in any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify us immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not use, disclose, copy, distribute, retain or rely on this email or any part of it.

Please note that whilst we try to ensure that attachments are virus-free, we cannot accept responsibility for situations where this is not the case.

Any information in this email is advice from the business and not the sender.

Sara Spencer Ltd is a company registered in England, registration number 12304408, registered office 8 Kingsway, Harrogate, HG1 5NQ

Thank you Ihsan. That is very helpful.

Thank you Sara. I will have a look at the IHT100.
Much appreciated.

In addition to what Ihsan and Sara have said, you might note that there will only be one annual CGT exemption for the trustees, calculated by reference to the settlor who has made most other settlements (TCGA 1992, Schedule 1C).

Paul Saunders FCIB TEP

Independent Trust Consultant

Providing support and advice to fellow professionals

Noted and thank you Paul.